Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And Yet Another Miniature, Jackal, and A Sappy Bit on Being a Parent and an Artist

.


Jackal
6"X8"

Being an artist and a parent means updating my blog by pressing as softly on the keyboard keys as possible while they sleep in bed behind me.
Being an artist and a parent means occasionally destroying my brush by forgetting to clean it because I had to RUN from my painting to attend to some duty like scraped knee kissing and sibling or cat claw removal.
Being an artist and a parent means letting go of keeping floors clean and laundry folded.
Being an artist and a parent means making sure the caps on the varnish, painting mediums, and acetate containers are screwed down really tight.
Being an artist and a parent means enclosing the studio behind a dog security gate/fence while my kids run amuk in the rest of my studio like chickens with their heads cut off and somehow miraculously still concentrating on painting.
Being an artist and a parent means always having an ear leaning away from the project.
Being an artist and a parent means finding a way to let them participate and create their own always amazing (to me) art.
Being an artist and a parent means sometimes putting down the child to take up the brush, and sometimes putting down the paintbrush to hug the child.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. Although I am obviously not an artist. I think being a writer and a parent is really difficult. I haven't found it that difficult to keep up my blog and parent, but writing a book while parenting is- well, I don't know how all those women authors with three or four kids do it. I have only the one and I can barely hold it together. Lots of very deep late nights, not much sleep, and a really messy house.

    I really liked this post Mrs. E.

    ReplyDelete